Skip to main content

Darren Byfield: “Bristol City broke promises and broke my heart”

Darren Byfield’s much-travelled boots were only at Ashton Gate for one season and he played just 33 games.  However he came close to being immortalised as a City legend of the ilk of Paul Cheesley and Tom Ritchie, top-scoring (albeit with only eight goals) as a part of City’s most successful team in 40 years, a team that came within a whisker of reaching the Premier League in 2008.

On Sunday, Steve Cotterill takes control of Bristol City for the first time as they travel to Byfield’s Tamworth for the second round F.A.Cup tie – being shown live on ITV – with the whole country hoping for an upset.

Ahead of that tie, Stu Radnedge interviewed the ex-City striker who revealed plenty about Sunday’s opponents and his eventful season in BS3, especially what it was like working under Gary Johnson.

Byfield joined City in August 2007 for an undisclosed fee at a time when the club had just gained promotion to the Championship and reveals that the great atmosphere at the club played a major role in his decision to join. “I was at Millwall at the time and we did well that season. But my mates were telling me how much of a good time they were having playing for Bristol City. Marv (Marvin Elliott) had left for City and I just wanted to get more time playing football. (Kevin) Betsy is a very close friend of mine and I know (Scott) Murray from my time at Villa and I just wanted to be that little bit closer to Birmingham. I'd heard so much about the club being a good one to be at and I will say that upon joining, apart from my time at Villa, the time I spent at Ashton Gate was the greatest I'd ever had in my footballing career.”

It clearly seemed a good move at the time and Byfield’s City career started well, as he still remembers fondly, “My debut was against Coventry away and it sticks out because I scored, as does my home debut. I think it was Burnley visiting Ashton Gate and I came on and got two late goals.”

It was, of course, a time when Gary Johnson reigned supreme in South Bristol and the affable cockney was responsible for bringing Byfield to City and he gave an insight into the success achieved by Johnson. “Gary got everyone to give 100% and motivated the team and wouldn't expect anything less than you giving your all when on the pitch”.

However Byfield also revealed a behind-the-scenes tale which perhaps starts to tell the story of why Johnson’s City adventure unravelled so quickly. “Before signing me, we sat down and spoke about a few things. But, unfortunately, he went back on his word to me. He said I would play a certain amount of games on the contract I was on, and then I'd go back to the money I was on at Millwall.  I’d taken a pay cut to come to Ashton Gate which I thought was fine as it had all been promised by Johnson.  But then (after the defeat at Wembley versus Hull) my contract wasn't renewed and I was out.”



Byfield could perhaps be forgiven for feeling bitter, but when questioned on how and why that team achieved so much – over-achieved so much in fact – he was still able to offer praise to Johnson. “Regardless of how he was with me at the end, you have to give Gary credit as he was in charge and motivated the team. But the players bonding in the way that we did was also key. Everyone got on with each other. If you weren't in the team one week you would just hope your mate who was picked over you had an awesome game and played well. It was the best team ethic I'd ever seen.
“I think I was the leading goal scorer at the end of that season with eight goals - which kind of says it all. Everyone just played well together and leaving that season made me so sad. I just wanted to be with the boys, the fans, everyone at the club. It was just a joy to play there.”

With City flying high, the January transfer-window saw City sign Dele Adebola, a move which was intended to give City the added impetus to push on for promotion. The man in possession of one of the striking shirts at the time reveals a relaxed attitude to the big man’s arrival. “I've always had this belief in my ability as a footballer so I wasn't worried. If Thierry Henry had joined that I would have worried about losing my place”, Byfield laughed, “But when Dele signed I just thought ‘this is competition’. You either jump into a box and worry or you think, 'OK, pal, let's see what you can bring'. We all just wanted to get to the Premiership so much“.

If that transfer somewhat passed Byfield by, unsurprisingly he does question the approach taken the following summer.  “It's one of those situations where the managers let a few players go and bring in a few fresh faces - in the hope of changing things for the better. But I ask, did tweaking need to be done? He (Johnson) had to motivate the players after that loss in the final and get them going again - but was it needed? As for me, I wanted to try really hard when I got back to the club - but, of course, that wasn't meant to be”.

Moving onto Sunday’s big F.A. Cup tie, Byfield was typically chipper about the opposition, “It (the draw) was superb – although there was every chance I'd end up playing one of my old clubs as I've played for over 9,000”, Byfield laughed.

With his career nearing an end Byfield has taken up a player/coach role at ‘The Lambs’ and seems happy enough with his lot, currently. “I've been doing my UEFA B badge at St George's and will start on my A very soon. I know it (getting to managerial level) can be a long drawn out course but at the moment I just enjoy helping the boys out here. I'll work with them to strengthen their weaker points but try to keep the things that they are good at also strong.”

When questioned on Tamworth’s strengths, Byfield gave an insight to reveal City should certainly not be taking the non-leaguers lightly on Sunday. “We're physically a strong side and have a lot of strength all over the pitch. Our two centre mids, Morgan and Hildreth, are key as are (Darren then began reciting every player in the squad!). Oh, and then there's Chadwick as well. All of the ones I've mentioned. These lads have, mostly, never appeared on the TV before so there's a lot of excitement at the club at the moment.”

Byfield continued, “In the league we're not doing as well as we should. The results haven't matched our performances - let's put it that way. We just need to put a show on for Sunday! It's a little club and all the staff here want, is for us to give 100% on the day. We deserved to win the Round One match and get through to Round Two.”

Byfield is typically positive when it came to predicting a result for Sunday, revealing that he’s had dreams of the commentator at the end of the match saying Tamworth 2, Bristol City 1.  And if that were the case, there’s not a doubt whatsoever about the tie Byfield would want as a reward. “Arsenal”, he replied without a moment’s hesitation, “at the Emirates” he laughed. “I'm a Gooner and I've scored at Highbury. I'd like a repeat at the Emirates”


Whatever the result on Sunday, it’s unlikely to be as emotional for Byfield as the Premier League near-miss. A shock cup win is always great to be involved in, but winning that Championship play-off final is life-changing for all involved. Byfield still reflects on that day ruefully. “We genuinely believed we would win it. That's the hardest thing. We had good results against Hull in the league and we were really ready for the match. Losing was heart breaking. The ones that had to go back had another chance at it all again, but I was leaving. That was the final game I played in that red shirt. Truly heart breaking”.



A huge amount of thanks to both Darren for taking time out of his preparation for the cup tie to speak to us, and – beyond Sunday – I’m sure every City fan would wish him the best of luck with Tamworth in the future.


The Exiled Robin

Follow me on Twitter ---'Like' me on Facebook

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.com


www.facebook.com/theciderdiaries --- www.twitter.com/theciderdiaries

Comments

  1. He's just another journeyman wihinger who will not move on. By the way not all the country wants an upset, you might but those of us that want to get behind Cotterill wish him the best in his first game in charge. COYR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning Mr.Anonymous?!

    By 'the whole country' I was naturally talking about everyone other than City fans and it's an oft-used term.
    As far as I know everyone is behind Cotterill an his efforts - we all want the same thing after all, don't we?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten days is a long time in football...the new era is dawning

The last couple of weeks has been quite a period in Bristol City’s long history. It’s been chaotic, troublesome and concerning. There’s been anger and abuse (more on that later), antipathy and arguments. And, as is the way with football, things tend to move very quickly. There is now more than a murmur of excitement (not quite full-blown, mind) and significant nodding of approval at the choice made by the club this week. In between all of this City won a game of football, albeit against a team bottom of the league playing with ten men for most of the match. But they won, and got three points and moved back into the top half of the table. Underperforming and not where the club wants to be…? Margins are fine, that’s for certain. So, what has been learned, with the announcement of Liam Manning as Head Coach on Tuesday and what myths do need to be busted? Firstly, the club communications are like Jekyll & Hyde. The engagement pieces, insight videos and some of the fun nonsense

Bright Knight of the City

  The lesser-spotted blog post... The string of summer signings has inspired the first post in a year, with a focus on new £2m(ish) signing, Jason Knight. He has been likened by some to Korey Smith, his former team-mate at Pride Park, whilst his high-energy approach has been praised widely. To get the real lowdown I spoke to avid Rams fan, Cory Hancock , of top Derby pod Ram's Review .                                                    Picture from Bristol City www.bcfc.co.uk  Tell us about Jason Knight. What type of player are we getting? An energy player who will run all game long. Knight’s engine is second-to-none. He will run hard for the team and do the work of two players. That’s not to say he runs around like a headless chicken, but he will go box-to-box for 90 minutes. He’s also a solid and consistent performer who rarely lets the side down. He’s played a few different positions, I think most expect him to be straying centrally for us as one of two holding midfielders. Woul

Bristol City: Our Greatest Team to the Ashton Gate Eight

Back in 2014, I was invited by the Two Unfortunates website to write about Bristol City's greatest team. It was a story which, of course, ended ultimately in the story of the Ashton Gate 8. Since the site of the original post has long since gone, here it is republished in full. "Eight players with more than 80 years at the club and more than 2,000 appearances between them, cast aside as unwilling saviours" Sometimes, events occur that make you realise your true standing in life. When the emotional mask of expectation is removed and those rose-tinted spectacles are lowered onto the brow of the nose, you can realise that things aren’t quite all they seem. And so it was for me, a lifelong Bristol City fan, when I was asked to talk about our greatest ever team. For when it came down to it, there was only one real choice. One genuinely great team that I could write about even in the perspective-bending world of football and this was one I hadn’t even had the privilege of seein